The W5100 is a full-featured, single-chip 10/100 Ethernet controller designed for embedded applications where ease of integration, stability, performance, area and system cost-control are required. The W5200 has been designed to facilitate easy implementation of internet connectivity without an OS. The W5200 is IEE 802.3 10BASE-T and 802.3u 100BASE-TX compliant.
For easy integration, using minimal I/O pins, the W5200 includes a high-speed SPI interface.
The W5200 chip is a Hardwired TCP/IP embedded Ethernet controller that enables easier internet connection for embedded systems using SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface).
W5200 suits best for users who need Internet connectivity for applications that use a single chip to implement TCP/IP Stack, 10/100 Ethernet MAC and PHY. The W5200 is composed of a fully hardwired, market-proven TCP/IP stack and an integrated Ethernet MAC & PHY. Hardwired TCP/IP stack supports TCP, UDP, IPv4, ICMP, ARP, IGMP, and PPPoE, which has been proven in various applications for many years. The W5200 uses a 32 Kbyte internal buffer as its data communication memory. By using W5200, users can implement the Ethernet application they need by using a simple socket program instead of handling a complex Ethernet Controller.
SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) is provided for easy integration with the external MCU. The W5200 SPI supports a high-speed SPI capable of communicating over SPI at up to 80 MHz. In order to reduce power consumption of the system, W5200 provides WOL (Wake on LAN) and power-down mode. To wake up during WOL, W5200 should be received magic packet, which is the Raw Ethernet packet.
- High-speed and low-pin count SPI interface
- Built-in network stack requires minimal microcontroller resources
- Home Network Devices: Set-Top Boxes, PVRs, Digital Media Adapters
- Serial-to-Ethernet: Access Controls, LED displays, Wireless AP relays, etc.
- Parallel-to-Ethernet: POS / Mini Printers, Copiers
- USB-to-Ethernet: Storage Devices, Network Printers
- GPIO-to-Ethernet: Home Network Sensors
- Security Systems: DVRs, Network Cameras, Kiosks
- Factory and Building Automations
- Medical Monitoring Equipment
- Embedded Servers
- Hardwired TCP/IP Protocols: TCP, UDP, ICMP, IPv4 ARP, IGMP, PPPoE
- 10BaseT/100BaseTX Ethernet PHY
- Auto Negotiation ( Full- and half-duplex, 10- and 100-based)
- Auto MDI/MDIX (Straight-through or Crossover)
- 8 simultaneous sockets
- High Speed Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI MODE 0, 3)
- ADSL connection (with support PPPoE Protocol & PAP/CHAP Authentication mode)
- Internal 32 Kbytes Memory for Tx/Rx Buffers
- Multi-function LED outputs (Full/Half-duplex, Link, Speed)
- Power-down mode
- Wake on LAN
- 0.18 µm CMOS technology
- 3.3 V operation with 5 V I/O signal tolerance
- Small & Compace 48-Pin QFN Package
- Voltage requirements: 2.97 to 3.63 VDC
- Current requirements: 175 mA max
- Communication protocol: IEEE 802.3, SPI
- Dimensions: 0.28 x 0.28 x 0.04 in (7 x 7 x 0.9 mm)
- Operating temperature range: -40 to 185 °F (-40 to 85 °C)